Osso buco pie with gremolata crust
trimmed veal shank
600 g, (buy 1.8kg osso buco) fat trimmed
1 medium, chopped
2 medium, peeled, chopped
2 individual, trimmed, sliced
5 clove(s), crushed
canned diced tomatoes
1 cup(s), (250ml)
1 tbs, coarsely chopped
fresh bay leaf
320 g, made into 2 cups breadcrumbs
fresh flat-leaf parsley
½ cup(s), coarsely chopped
fresh lemon rind
1 tbs, grated
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 170°C or 150°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over medium heat. Cook veal, in batches, for 3–4 minutes each side or until browned. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onion, carrot and celery to dish and cook, stirring, for 3–5 minutes or until softened. Add 3 cloves crushed garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, stock, thyme and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Return veal to pan. Bake, covered, for 2 hours or until veal is tender and starting to fall off the bone. Remove from oven and set aside. When cool enough to handle, use a fork to remove large pieces of meat. Discard bones.
- Place breadcrumbs, parsley, rind and remaining crushed garlic in a small bowl. Stir gremolata to combine.
- Return veal to vegetable mixture and stir to combine. Spoon mixture into a 2L (8-cup) capacity pie dish. Top with gremolata. Lightly spray with oil and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve.