Orange, almond and apricot cake
⅓ cup(s), (30g), lightly toasted
3 medium, separated
½ cup(s), (110g)
99% fat-free vanilla yoghurt, sweetened
White self-raising flour
1 cup(s), (150g)
½ cup(s), (60g)
2 tbs, warmed
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Place orange in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 50 minutes or until very tender. Cool slightly. Cut into chunks (including skin), removing white pith from centre.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200°C (see note). Spread almonds on a baking tray and bake for 3–5 minutes or until lightly toasted. Lightly spray a 20cm round cake tin with oil. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Place orange in a food processor and blend until smooth. Using electric beaters, whisk the 4 egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Place egg yolks and sugar in a separate bowl and beat until light and creamy and doubled in volume.
- Fold pureed orange and yoghurt into yolk mixture. Fold in f lour and almond meal. Gently fold in egg whites.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand cake in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Brush warm cake with jam and sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve warm or cold.