Moroccan chicken filo pie
skinless chicken thigh
480 g, (buy 4 fillets, or 600g)
1 medium, thickly sliced
1 tbs, grated
2 clove(s), crushed
pumpkin, butternut, raw
500 g, coarsely chopped
½ cup(s), (125ml) reduced-salt
½ cup(s), coarsely chopped
2 tbs, slivered, toasted
uncooked filo pastry
9 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly spray a 20cm-round (base measurement) shallow cake tin with oil. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook chicken, in 2 batches, for 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add onion, ginger and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add cumin, turmeric and half the cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Return chicken to pan with pumpkin and stock. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 5 minutes or until pumpkin is slightly tender. Uncover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until pumpkin is tender and liquid is almost absorbed. Set aside to cool. Add coriander and half the almonds.
- Finely chop remaining almonds. Combine with the remaining cinnamon and icing sugar in a bowl. Place 1 filo sheet on a clean work surface. Lightly spray with oil. Top with another filo sheet, turning slightly. Sprinkle with one-eighth of the almond mixture. Continue layering remaining filo with most of the remaining almond mixture, spraying filo sheets lightly with oil and turning slightly to form a star shape. Line prepared tin with filo stack, allowing pastry to overhang.
- Spoon chicken mixture into the pastry. Fold the pastry edges over the filling to enclose. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Invert the pie onto the prepared tray. Sprinkle with remaining almond mixture. Bake for a further 15 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with the icing sugar mixture. Cut into wedges to serve.