Mocha pavlova with caramelised bananas
1 hr 5 min
Layers of chocolate, caramelised bananas and coffee beans make this dessert divine for any day or night of the week!
Reduced fat oil spread
1 cup(s), (220g)
Instant coffee powder
2 tsp, (espresso)
2 tbs, (white)
2 medium, thinly sliced
20 g, grated
- Preheat oven to 160°C or 140°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Draw a 22cm circle on baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add caster sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition until sugar has dissolved (see note). Place cocoa and espresso in a small bowl. Add vinegar and 2 teaspoons boiling water and stir until smooth. Gently fold cocoa mixture into meringue mixture.
- Spread meringue mixture over circle on prepared tray and smooth surface. Bake for 45–50 minutes or until crisp. Cool on tray.
- Meanwhile, melt spread in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add brown sugar and stir until dissolved. Add banana and cook, turning, for 2 minutes or until caramelised.
- Place pavlova on a serving plate and top with caramelised banana. Serve drizzled with cream and sprinkled with chocolate.
Use a clean teaspoon to scoop out a little of the meringue mixture. Rub the mixture between your fingers – if it feels grainy the sugar hasn’t dissolved so beat it a little longer.