Mini red velvet cupcakes
1 ml, (1 drop red food colouring gel)
White self-raising flour
1 cup(s), (150g)
¼ cup(s), (55g) extra
½ cup(s), (125ml)
Reduced fat oil spread
60 g, melted
½ cup(s), coarsely grated
Light cream cheese
150 g, at room temperature
Icing sugar mixture
½ cup(s), (80g)
- Place the caster sugar and 1 drop of the red food colouring in a small bowl. Mix until well combined. Transfer to a plate. Spread out and set aside for at least 1 hour to dry.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line the holes of 2 x 12-hole 1-tablespoon capacity mini muffin tins with paper cases. Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl. Stir in the extra caster sugar.
- Whisk the egg and buttermilk in a small bowl. Stir in the melted spread. Add to the flour mixture. Mix until well combined. Stir in 1-2 drops of the red food colouring until the mixture has a slight red hue. Stir in the beetroot until well combined.
- Divide the mixture among the paper cases. Smooth the surface. Bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cakes comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl. Sift in the icing sugar mixture. Use a wooden spoon to beat until well combined and smooth. Spoon the icing mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe icing onto the cupcakes in a spiral. Sprinkle lightly with the red-coloured sugar just before serving.