Merry choc-mint macarons
1 hr 5 min
Use whatever food colouring you fancy- try festive red with a white chocolate filling.
3 medium, at room temperature
¼ tsp, (green food colouring)
1¼ cup(s), (200g), sifted
1 cup(s), (120g)
2 tbs, thickened
½ tsp, peppermint
- Lightly spray 2 large baking trays and line with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Add caster sugar and beat until sugar dissolves. Add the food colouring. Fold in the icing sugar and almond meal in 2 batches.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1.5cm nozzle. Pipe 4cm rounds, about 2cm apart, on the prepared trays. Tap the trays firmly on the bench to remove air bubbles. Set aside for 30 minutes or until a crust forms.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 130°C. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until dry to touch. Cool on trays.
- Heat the cream and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl on high (100%) for 1 minute, stirring every 20 seconds, or until smooth. Stir in the peppermint essence. Place the filling in the fridge for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until spreadable.
- Spread ½ teaspoon of chocolate mixture onto the bases of half of the macaron shells. Top with the remaining macaron shells.