Maple-glazed roast turkey with cornmeal stuffing
2½ cup(s), (625ml), salt-reduced
⅔ cup(s), (110g), yellow
⅓ cup(s), (45g), coarsely chopped
Apple juice no added sugar
½ cup(s), (125ml)
1 tsp, finely grated
1 small, finely chopped
Reduced fat oil spread
45 g, made from day-old white bread
Green apple, unpeeled
1 medium, finely chopped
Fresh flat-leaf parsley
¼ cup(s), coarsely chopped
Turkey, whole, roasted
1400 g, (Buy 1 x 3.5kg whole turkey)
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Line base and sides of a 20cm square cake tin with foil. Bring 1½ cups (375ml) stock and 1 cup (250ml) water to the boil in a large saucepan. Gradually stir in polenta. Cook, stirring, over low heat for 5–7 minutes or until very thick. Spoon into prepared tin and smooth the surface. Place in fridge for 1 hour or until firm.
- Meanwhile, combine cranberries, juice and rind in a small bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced. Lift polenta from tin. Peel away foil and cut into 1cm cubes. Place cubes on a large baking tray lined with baking paper and lightly spray with oil. Bake polenta, turning once, for 20–25 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a small non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat half the spread in same pan over medium-high heat until melted. Add breadcrumbs and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until browned. Add breadcrumb mixture to onion mixture with apple, polenta cubes and cranberry mixture and toss gently to combine. Set stuffing aside to cool. Stir in parsley.
- Discard neck and giblets from turkey. Rinse turkey under cold water. Pat dry both inside and out with paper towel. Spoon stuffing into cavity. Tie legs together with unwaxed white kitchen string.
- Reduce oven to 160°C or 140°C fan-forced. Place turkey, breast-side up, on a wire rack set over a large flameproof baking dish. Pour remaining stock over base of dish. Lightly spray turkey with oil and cover loosely with foil. Bake for 2 hours 30 minutes.
- Increase oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced. Place syrup and remaining spread in a small microwave-safe jug. Microwave on High (100%) for 30 seconds or until melted. Remove foil from turkey and brush with syrup mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until golden brown and juices run clear when thigh is pierced with a skewer. Transfer turkey to a serving platter. Cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, drain pan juices into a jug, leaving ¼ cup (60ml) juices in baking dish. Reserve remaining pan juices. Heat baking dish over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Gradually whisk in reserved pan juices until smooth and combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until gravy has slightly thickened. Serve turkey with stuffing and gravy.