Lemon syrup loaf cake
Reduced fat oil spread
½ cup(s), (125g)
½ cup(s), (110g)
Fresh lemon rind
1 tbs, finely grated
1¼ cup(s), (self-raising), (185g), sifted
⅓ cup(s), (80ml)
2 tbs, extra for syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 9cm x 19cm (base measurement) loaf tin with oil. Line base and 2 long sides with 1 sheet of baking paper, allowing paper to hang over the edges of the tin.
- Using electric beaters, beat spread, ½ cup (110g) sugar and rind in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Fold in flour and milk, alternately, until combined.
- Spoon cake mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 40–45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Meanwhile, combine lemon juice and extra 2 tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 1–2 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Boil for 4–5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Pour hot syrup over warm cooked cake in tin. Cool.
- Remove cake from tin. Cut into slices to serve.