Lamb shanks with spinach and beans
dry lima beans
1 cup(s), (190g)
1 medium, finely chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
2 medium, cut into 3cm pieces
lean lamb shank
1000 g, fat trimmed (buy 8 x 250g)
½ cup(s), (125ml)
2 cup(s), (500ml)
canned diced tomatoes
400 g, (1x400g can)
¼ cup(s), (70g)
1 tbs, (2 sprigs)
baby spinach leaves
- Place beans in a medium bowl. Cover with cold water and set aside overnight to soak. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add onion, garlic and carrots and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion has softened. Transfer to a 5 litre (20-cup) slow cooker.
- Reheat same pan over high heat. Cook shanks, in batches, for 3 minutes each side or until browned. Add wine and bring to the boil. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add beans, stock, tomatoes, paste and rosemary to slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook, covered, on high for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours) or until lamb is tender.
- Stir in spinach. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until wilted. Serve.