Lamb and sweet potato moussaka
2 medium, thinly sliced widthways
orange sweet potato (kumara)
300 g, thinly sliced widthways
1 medium, finely chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
lean lamb mince
1 cup(s), (Italian tomato puree) (250g)
2 tbs, chopped, plus extra to serve
frozen boiled spinach, drained
500 g, (2 x 250g packets) thawed
low-fat ricotta cheese
99% fat-free plain Greek yoghurt
1 medium, lightly beaten
grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), (finely grated)
3 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 200°C or 180°C fan-forced. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Lightly spray a 2 litre (8-cup) capacity baking dish with oil.
- Spread eggplant and sweet potato, in single layers, over prepared trays. Lightly spray with oil and bake for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until softened. Add mince and cook, stirring to break up lumps, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add passata and oregano and bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Squeeze excess liquid from spinach. Place half the eggplant over base of prepared dish. Top with half the mince, half the sweet potato and half the spinach. Repeat layers with remaining eggplant, mince, sweet potato and spinach.
- Combine ricotta, yoghurt and egg in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Spread ricotta mixture over spinach layer. Sprinkle with parmesan. Bake, uncovered, for 45–50 minutes or until golden and heated through. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Serve scattered with extra oregano.