Japanese beef rolls
Beef minute steak, raw
400 g, (buy 500g, fat trimmed)
1 bunch(es), halved
1 large, cut into matchsticks
3 individual, cut into 8cm lenths
⅓ cup(s), (80ml)
250 g, button variety
- Place steaks between pieces of plastic wrap and gently pound with a rolling pin until 4mm thick. Cut each steak in half crossways.
- Cook asparagus and carrot in a saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds. Add shallots and cook for 30 seconds. Drain. Refresh under cold water. Drain. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Top steaks with vegetables. Roll to enclose filling and secure with toothpicks. Place in a shallow dish. Pour over ¼ cup (60ml) sauce and turn to coat.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook rolls, in batches, turning, for 1–2 minutes or until browned. Cover with foil and set aside to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in same pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2–3 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining sauce. Drizzle rolls with resting juices and serve with mushrooms.