Green mac ‘n’ cheese
Green pasta tray-bake filled with broccoli, peas, zucchini and spinach topped with flaked almonds and pumpkin seeds.
1 x 3 second spray(s)
Wholemeal pasta, dry
200 g, spiral variety
300 g, coarsely chopped
Frozen green peas
1 medium, finely chopped
1 medium, coarsely grated
2 clove(s), crushed
1½ cup(s), (375ml)
Vegetable stock cube
Grated parmesan cheese
½ cup(s), (40g)
1 tbs, (pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat oven to 190°C or 170°C fan-forced. Lightly spray a 2 litre (8-cup) capacity ovenproof dish with oil.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following packet instructions, or until just tender. Add broccoli and peas for the last minute of cooking. Drain. Return to pan.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add zucchini and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add spinach and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until wilted. Add to pasta mixture and toss to combine.
- Place cornflour and 2 tablespoons milk in a small saucepan and stir until smooth. Gradually stir in remaining milk until smooth and combined. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 2–3 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Add stock cube and half the parmesan and stir to combine. Pour cheese sauce over pasta mixture and toss to combine.
- Transfer pasta mixture to prepared dish and sprinkle with half the remaining parmesan. Sprinkle with almonds, pepitas and remaining parmesan. Bake for 20 minutes or golden. Serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Baby spinach leaves. TIPS: You can use shredded kale instead of broccoli. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months. Reheat in the microwave.