Feel good fortune cookies
⅓ cup(s), (75g)
Vanilla bean extract, alcohol free
⅛ tsp, (pinch)
⅓ cup(s), (50g)
Reduced fat oil spread
40 g, melted
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Draw three 9cm circles on paper. Write 16 fortune messages to enclose in cookies on pieces of paper (5mm x 5cm).
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a small bowl until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and salt. Sift flour over egg mixture. Gently fold in flour, then melted spread, until combined.
- Drop 1 level tablespoon of mixture into centre of each circle on baking tray. Spread evenly to cover circle. Bake for 5–7 minutes or until golden.
- Working quickly using a spatula, loosen cookies on tray(see Cook’s Notes). Place a message along centre of each cookie. Fold cookies in half to enclose message and bend to form a horseshoe shape.
- Place cookies, edges pointed down, into patty pan holes (this will retain cookie shape). Allow to cool completely in pan. Repeat with remaining cookie mixture to make 13 more cookies. Serve.
TIPS: Suitable to store. Keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Cookies set hard quickly once removed from the oven. Only cooking 3 cookies at a time stops them from setting before they are folded into shape. Add it: 2 tbs desiccated coconut sprinkled over cookies before baking. Swap it: Vanilla essence for 1 tsp f inely grated orange or lemon rind.