Chocolate and salted caramel macarons
PersonalPoints™ per serving
Fill these choc macrons with salted caramel for a delightful dessert!
½ cup(s), (80g)
¼ cup(s), (30g)
1 tbs, Dutch variety
1 medium, at room temperature
Butterscotch or caramel topping
Reduced fat oil spread
1½ tbs, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 150°C. Line 1 large baking tray with baking paper.
- Process the icing sugar, almond meal and cocoa powder in a food processor for 2 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat the egg white in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Beat in the caster sugar until thick and glossy. Fold the egg white mixture through the almond mixture until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm-plain nozzle. Pipe 16 x 3cm-wide discs, 3cm apart, onto the prepared tray.
- Set the macaron shells aside for 20 minutes or until a skin forms on top. Bake the shells for 20 minutes or until just crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make salted caramel filling, whisk the spread and icing sugar in a small bowl until pale. Whisk in the caramel topping and pinch of salt until combined.
- Using a small palette knife or the back of a spoon, spread the filling onto the bases of half of the macaron shells. Top with the remaining shells and sandwich together. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight to soften slightly. Bring the macarons to room temperature before serving.
Smooth finish: The secret to achieving even and glossy macarons is processing and straining the almond and sugar mixture through a sieve.