A Japanese classic of skewered chicken and shallots, coated with a sweet and salty sauce that caramelises and chars to a magical glaze over a hot grill.
⅓ cup(s), (85ml)
Skinless chicken breast
500 g, cut into 24 x 3-4cm pieces
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Whisk teriyaki sauce and oil in a medium bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, trim dark green tops from shallots. Cut the white and light green parts into 16 x 4cm pieces.
- Remove chicken pieces from marinade and set aside. Pour the remaining marinade into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Boil for 2-3 minutes, until reduced and syrupy. Remove from heat.
- Using 8 x 15cm-long wooden skewers, thread 3 chicken pieces and 2 shallot pieces alternately onto each skewer.
- Lightly spray a grill pan or barbecue with oil, then heat over a medium-high heat. Cook skewers, turning and brushing with reduced marinade occasionally, for about 12 minutes or until chicken is lightly charred and cooked through.
TIPS: Soak the wooden skewers in a dish of water for 30 minutes before threading with chicken and shallots to prevent them burning during cooking. To avoid wastage, freeze the shallot trimmings in a reusable container for later use in soups and stocks.