Chicken with mushroom and herb seasoning
1 small, finely chopped
200 g, finely chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
1 tbs, (white wine)
2 tbs, finely chopped
2 tsp, (lemon thyme), finely chopped
780 g, (1.4kg)
1 medium, cut into wedges, to serve
3 medium, quartered
3 small, quartered
3 x 3 second spray(s)
1 tbs, (lemon thyme), extra
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan-forced. Heat oil in a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add vinegar and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs, chives and chopped thyme. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Rinse chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towel. Remove and discard any fat from cavity of chicken. Spoon seasoning into cavity. Fold skin to enclose seasoning and secure with toothpicks. Tie legs together with kitchen string.
- Place chicken on a rack set over a large baking dish. Add ½ cup (125ml) water to dish. Lightly spray chicken with oil. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (see Quick Tip opposite).
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a large baking tray with oil. Combine carrots, parsnips and extra thyme on prepared tray. Lightly spray with oil and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bake vegetables with chicken for the last 45 minutes of cooking or until golden and tender.
- Carve chicken and serve with roasted vegetables, seasoning and lemon wedges.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed brussels sprouts.