Cheat’s chicken and eggplant parmigiana
1 large, cut into 8 slices
Skinless chicken breast
500 g, (2 x 250g fillets) halved horizontally
1 small, finely chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
400 g, sugo variety
½ cup(s), (35g) wholemeal variety
70 g, torn
¼ cup(s), leaves
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook eggplant, in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat 1 teaspoon remaining oil in same pan over high heat. Cook chicken for 2–3 minutes each side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 3–4 minutes or until softened. Add sugo and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Pour tomato mixture into a large baking dish (see notes). Arrange 2 eggplant slices (slightly overlapping) in dish and top with a piece of chicken. Repeat with remaining eggplant and chicken to make 3 more parmigiana. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bocconcini.
- Preheat grill on high. Place dish under grill and cook for 2–3 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden and cheese has melted. Serve sprinkled with basil.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Mixed salad leaves. TIPS: • If you have an ovenproof frying pan that can go under the grill you can cook this entire recipe in the same pan. • Tomato sugo is an Italian cooking sauce available in the pasta aisle of most supermarkets. If unavailable, use passata (Italian tomato puree). • Add it: 1 long fresh red chilli (finely chopped) with garlic in Step 3. • Swap it: Chicken for 4 x 125g lean pork leg steaks (fat trimmed).