Cajun beef and polenta pies
Trimmed beef chuck steak
560 g, (Buy 700g), fat trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
1 medium, chopped
2 medium, chopped
2 clove(s), crushed
Salt-reduced liquid beef stock
Canned diced tomatoes
400 g, (1 x 400g can)
Canned black beans, rinsed, drained
½ cup(s), coarsely chopped
1½ cup(s), (375ml)
1 cup(s), (170g)
Grated parmesan cheese
½ cup(s), (40g)
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Lightly spray a large saucepan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook half the beef, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef. Return all beef to pan with spice mix and stir to coat.
- Add onion, capsicum and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until vegies have softened. Add stock and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Uncover and simmer for 40 minutes or until sauce has thickened and beef is tender. Stir in beans and coriander and cook for 5 minutes or until warmed through.
- Meanwhile, combine milk and 2 cups (500ml) water in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Add polenta in a thin, steady stream and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until soft and creamy. Stir in ⅓ cup (25g) parmesan.
- Preheat grill on high. Divide beef mixture among six 1½-cup (375ml) capacity ovenproof dishes. Top with polenta, then sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Grill for 5 minutes or until cheese is golden and melted. Serve.