Butter style chicken curry
2 medium, 1 finely chopped, 1 finely sliced
2 clove(s), crushed
1 tbs, peeled, finely sliced (1 x 5cm piece)
350 g, peeled, coarsely chopped
Vegetable stock cube
2 individual, gluten free variety, to make 4 cups (1L) of stock
1⅓ cup(s), (350g) (Italian tomato puree)
2 tbs, mild
Skinless chicken breast
550 g, cut into 3cm cubes
200 g, white variety
Baby spinach leaves
99% fat-free plain yoghurt
½ cup(s), (120g)
2 tbs, chopped
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Place chopped onion, garlic, ginger, pumpkin and stock in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, for 12–15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Strain stock through a sieve set over a large bowl and set aside. Process drained vegetables and passata in a food processor until smooth.
- Lightly spray a deep frying pan or flameproof casserole dish with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook sliced onion, stirring, for 5–8 minutes or until softened. Add curry powder and cook, stirring, for another 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, until just sealed, then stir in pureed vegetable mixture and 400 ml reserved stock. Simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked and sauce has thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook rice following packet instructions, adding turmeric to cooking water.
- When curry is almost cooked, place spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl with 2–3 tablespoons water. Cover and microwave on High (100%) for 2 minutes or until wilted. Drain.
- Serve curry with turmeric rice, wilted spinach, yoghurt and coriander.