Brussels sprouts bake
4 clove(s), unpeeled
1000 g, (1kg) quartered
1¼ cup(s), (310ml)
¼ tsp, (Pinch)
50 g, grated
40 g, day-old, torn into small pieces
1 x 3 second spray(s)
125 g, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Wrap garlic in foil and bake for 20 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook sprouts for about 4 minutes. Add 1/2 cup (125ml) water and cook, partially covered, for 6-8 minutes or until bright green, just tender and water has evaporated.
- Whisk cornflour and 1/4 cup of the skim milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Add remaining milk and bring to the boil. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until sauce thickens. Add nutmeg and season. Remove from heat and stir through cheese until smooth. Squeeze garlic flesh and discard skin. Finely chop and stir through white sauce.
- Place sprouts in a shallow 1.5L (6-cup) capacity ovenproof dish. Cover with sauce. Sprinkle with bread. Lightly spray with oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon for 4-5 minutes or until crunchy and golden. Sprinkle bake with bacon to serve.