Blackberry swirl meringue ice cream sandwiches
Sorbet, all flavours
1000 ml, mango
3 medium, at room temperature
¾ cup(s), (165g)
60 g, thawed
- Line a 20cm x 30cm (base measurement) slice tin with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang 3cm. Spoon mango sorbet into prepared tin. Smooth top. Freeze for 6 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters, beat the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating until the sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, using a food processor, process the blackberries until smooth. Add blackberry puree to meringue and fold to slightly swirl (don’t over-mix into meringue).
- Spoon mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 5mm fluted nozzle. Pipe 5cm-wide swirls of mixture, about 3cm apart, onto prepared trays. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until meringues are firm and dry to the touch. Turn off the oven. Leave the meringues in the oven, with door ajar, to cool.
- Using a 6cm round cutter, cut 15 discs from the sorbet. Return to the freezer. Sandwich sorbet discs between meringues. Return to the freezer for 5 minutes. Serve.