1 hr 10 min
Earthy, sweet beetroot is so versatile and adds a subtle sweetness to these moist, easyto- make brownies. With a generous serving to keep you feeling satisfied, friends and family will never guess the secret ingredient.
250 g, peeled, grated
Dark cooking chocolate
175 g, chopped
Reduced fat oil spread
Wholemeal self-raising flour
1 cup(s), (160g)
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Lightly spray a 20cm square (base measurement) cake tin with oil and line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above the edge of tin.
- Place beetroot in a microwave-safe bowl with 1 tablespoon water. Cover and microwave on High (100%) for 5 minutes or until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Place chocolate and oil spread in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir until just melted, then set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs and caster sugar with electric beaters in a medium bowl until pale and thick. Stir in melted chocolate mixture, then fold in flour and beetroot until well combined.
- Pour brownie mixture into prepared tin. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until just firm in centre when lightly touched with fingertips. Stand in tin to cool. Use lining paper to lift brownie from tin. Cut into 20 pieces.