Barbecue adobo chicken
½ cup(s), (110g) chipotle variety
1 medium, chopped
2 large, chopped
720 g, (buy 1.6kg)
1200 g, (8 x 150g potatoes)
Light sour cream
¼ cup(s), (60g)
½ cup(s), leaves
- Blend salsa, onion, vinegar, tomatoes, sugar, paprika and mustard in a blender or small food processor until a thick paste forms.
- Using poultry shears or a large knife, cut down each side of the chicken’s backbone. Remove backbone. Turn chicken over. Using the palm of your hand, press down on the breast bone to flatten. Remove skin from chicken. Place chicken in a shallow dish and rub with chipotle mixture. Cover and place in fridge for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender. Drain.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Pour marinade and ½ cup (125ml) water into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 4–5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Set sauce aside until needed.
- Meanwhile, preheat a chargrill or barbecue over low heat. Cook chicken for 15–20 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Cut into 8 portions and cover to keep warm. Cut a cross in top of potatoes and gently squeeze to open slightly. Top with sour cream and coriander. Serve with chicken and sauce.