Baked eggplant with three cheeses
No crumbing or frying in this eggplant parmigiana–lasagne mash-up! We grill the eggplant to concentrate its flavour and make it extra tender.
1 large, cut into 1½ cm-thick slices
Low-fat ricotta cheese
1 cup(s), smooth variety, (240g)
Grated parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), (20g)
Tomato pasta sauce
¾ cup(s), (195g)
⅓ cup(s), (40g)
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven grill to medium-high. Lightly spray a baking tray with oil.
- Arrange eggplant in a single layer on prepared tray and lightly spray with oil. Grill for about 5 minutes on each side or until well browned and tender. Turn off grill and preheat oven to 190°C.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta and half the parmesan in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread ½ cup (130g) pasta sauce over the base of a 20cm square baking dish. Top with half the eggplant and spread with ricotta mixture. Top with remaining eggplant and spoon over remaining pasta sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining parmesan.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until top is light golden and sauce is bubbling around edges. Stand for 5 minutes before cutting into 4 pieces to serve.
COOKING TIP: Be sure to grill eggplant slices until golden-brown in colour. Cooking the eggplant thoroughly removes excess liquid, intensifying the flavour of the finished dish. TO REFRIGERATE: Store unbaked, covered in dish, for up to 1 day. Uncover and bake as above, increasing cook time by 5 minutes. Once cooked, store leftovers in a reusable container for up to 4 days. Reheat in microwave until hot.