Winter Fruit Turnovers
2 medium, Granny Smith, peeled and chopped
2 medium, peeled and chopped
⅔ fl oz
unpacked brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- To make filling: Dissolve cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water in a measuring cup and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine apples and pears and 2/3 cup water. Cook and stir on high heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer, stirring frequently, for 5 more minutes.
- Add cornstarch mixture to fruit mixture; bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a large piece of wax paper and fold it in half lengthwise. Coat folded sheet with cooking spray. Keep remaining phyllo dough sheets covered with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out.
- Spoon about a 1/3 cup of apple mixture about an 1-inch from one end of folded strip. Fold end over apple filling at a 45-degree angle. Continue folding to form a triangle that encloses all of filling. Repeat with remaining sheets of phyllo dough.
- Place turnovers on baking sheet and bake about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.