Ultimate bacon cheeseburgers
Dried porcini mushrooms
1 oz, sliced
Uncooked center cut bacon
Uncooked 95% lean ground beef
6 oz, finely chopped
Uncooked red onion(s)
½ small, grated, plus thin slices for serving (optional)
1 tsp(s), divided
Shredded reduced-fat Mexican-style cheese
15 tbsp(s), sharp variety (3⁄4 cup plus 3 tbsp)
4 slice(s), each 3⁄4 inch thick
Light hamburger roll(s) or bun(s)
4 bun(s), toasted
- In small bowl, add porcini mushrooms and enough hot water to cover. Let stand until mushrooms soften, about 15 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to cutting board and chop.
- Off heat, coat grill rack or large grill pan with nonstick spray. Preheat gas grill or grill pan to medium-high, prepare medium-high fire in charcoal grill.
- Meanwhile, arrange 4 bacon slices in single layer between paper towels. Microwave on High until bacon is partially cooked but still flexible, about 30 seconds. Drain bacon on paper towels. Repeat with remaining 4 bacon slices. Let cool.
- In large bowl, mix beef, cremini and porcini mushrooms, onion, and 1⁄2 tsp salt and shape into 4 (31⁄2-inch) patties. Season with 1⁄4 tsp each salt and black pepper. Arrange 2 bacon strips crisscross on each patty, tucking ends underneath.
- Arrange patties, bacon-side down, on grill and cook for 6 minutes. Turn patties over and cook until bacon is crisp and instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into patties registers 160°F, about 6 minutes more. Sprinkle a scant 1⁄4 cup cheese over each patty. Close lid and continue to cook until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle tomato slices with remaining 1⁄4 tsp salt. Build burgers with roll bottom, 1 patty with bacon and cheese, 1 tomato slice, 1 lettuce leaf, sliced onion (if using), and roll top.
- Serving size: 1 burger