Steak au poivre
1 Tbsp, whole black, crushed
Uncooked lean and trimmed beef filet mignon
20 oz, 4 x 5-ounces
3 small, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
3 item(s), finely chopped
3 Tbsp, bourbon, or beef broth
Canned beef broth
- Spread peppercorns on plate. Coat steaks on one side with peppercorns, pressing so they adhere. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Heat oil in large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks, peppercorn side down, and cook until instant-read thermometer inserted into side of steak registers 145°F, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and loosely cover with foil.
- Add zucchini, shallots, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt to skillet and cook, stirring, until zucchini is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add brandy and cook 20 seconds (if brandy flames, cover skillet with lid and remove from heat until it dies down).
- Whisk broth and mustard into skillet until smooth. Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Serve with steaks.
- Serving size: 1 steak with 2/3 cup vegetables and sauce