Roasted Veggie Wreath
In need of an appetizer that won’t deplete your weeklies? This festive edible wreath, made from lightly seasoned roasted and skillet-charred vegetables, is irresistibly snackable. The accompanying tomato sauce couldn’t be easier to whip up and gains surprising depth of flavour from grated fresh garlic. We call to peel the eggplant partially so that you get the great flavor of the skin but it won’t draw up the eggplant slices as they cook.
1 medium, about 1 lb
1 large, about 12 oz
Yellow summer squash
1 large, about 12 oz
½ tsp(s), divided
Sweet mini baby bell pepper(s)
Fresh cherry tomato(es)
Canned crushed tomatoes
1 clove(s), small, grated
Roasted red peppers (packed in water)
3 oz, about 1 pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F with 1 oven rack in top third of oven and 1 oven rack in lower third of oven. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Trim top stem end off eggplant. Partially peel eggplant lengthwise with a vegetable peeler, leaving long purple stripes. Cut eggplant crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices. Cut zucchini and yellow squash diagonally into ¼-inch-thick slices. Arrange eggplant, zucchini, and yellow squash slices in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Spray with nonstick spray and sprinkle with black pepper and ¼ tsp salt. Roast at 425°F until tender, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place baby peppers in a medium bowl and coat with cooking spray; toss to coat. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers and cook until softened with charred spots all over, turning occasionally, 6 to 7 minutes. Place peppers in a medium bowl; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Place cherry tomatoes in a medium bowl and coat with cooking spray; toss to coat. Add to skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until softened with charred spots all over, shaking pan frequently, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove tomatoes from pan.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl or 2-cup glass measuring cup, combine crushed tomatoes, oregano, garlic, and remaining ¼ tsp salt. Cover and microwave on High until thoroughly heated, about 1 minute.
- On a large platter, arrange eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini, and baby peppers in concentric circles. Place a small bowl of sauce in the middle. Scatter cherry tomatoes around edge of vegetable wreath. Cut roasted red pepper into pieces to make a bow shape and arrange on wreath.
- Serving size: about ½ cup vegetables and 2 tbsp sauce