Cooked artichoke hearts
Extra virgin olive oil
2 large, finely chopped, about 1/3 cup
Fresh garlic scapes
2 medium, minced
2 slice(s), trimmed and chopped
Grated Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp(s), toasted and chopped
- Grate 1/2 tsp zest from lemon and set aside; squeeze lemon juice. To a bowl containing 1 cup water, add 1 tbsp lemon juice. Cut the stalk off each artichoke base and add to lemon water. Snap off tough green leaves from around base; discard. Slice 1 inch off tops of artichokes. Dip cut surfaces in lemon water. With kitchen scissors, trim thorny tops from leaves.
- Spread open center leaves of artichoke. With the tip of a spoon, scoop out violet-tipped leaves and scrape out fuzzy choke. Place artichoke in lemon water. Repeat with remaining artichokes. Peel artichoke stems and chop.
- In a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tsp oil. Add stems, shallots, and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring, until slightly crisp. Add panko and cook, stirring, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in Parmesan, reserved lemon zest, pine nuts, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir in 2 tsp lemon juice and water to moisten stuffing.
- Place artichokes, upside down, on paper towels to drain. Turn artichokes and lightly pack stuffing into cavities and between leaves. Pour 1 inch water into a 4-qt slow cooker; stand stuffed artichokes in slow cooker. Place a sheet of foil on top. Cover and cook until bottom of artichoke can be pierced easily with knife, about 3 hours on High.
- Remove foil. Transfer artichokes to paper towels to drain. Arrange on a platter and drizzle with remaining 2 tsp oil.
- Per serving: 1 stuffed artichoke