Lentil and roasted-vegetable soup
3 large, cut crosswise in half
Sweet red pepper(s)
1 medium, halved lengthwise
1 medium, chopped
2 clove(s), medium, minced
Chipotle chili powder
Fat free vegetable broth
1 small, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
Uncooked sweet potato(es)
1 small, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
1 cup(s), brown, picked over and rinsed
6 tbsp(s), (1/4 cup)
2 tbsp(s), chopped
1 small, thinly sliced
Crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat broiler. Line large rimmed baking sheet with foil and place tomatoes and bell pepper, cut side down, on the foil. Broil 5 inches from heat, until skins blister, about 5 minutes for tomatoes and 10 minutes for pepper. Set aside to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel blackened skin off tomatoes and pepper and discard. Set aside vegetables, reserving any accumulated juices.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and golden, about 6 minutes. Add garlic, chile powder, and cumin and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add broth, carrot, sweet potato, lentils, and salt. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until lentils and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Combine 1 cup soup mixture, reserved tomatoes and bell pepper, and any accumulated juices in food processor; puree. Add puree to saucepan and simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Ladle evenly into 6 bowls; top evenly with Cotija. Sprinkle with cilantro, jalapeño, and pepper flakes.
- Serving size: (1 1/3 cups soup and 1 tablespoon cheese)