Fresh Ginger Spice Cookies
Whole wheat pastry flour
1½ tsp(s), divided
Packed brown sugar
½ cup(s), dark variety
6 tbsp(s), softened
1 tbsp(s), peeled and grated
1 large egg(s)
- Preheat oven to 350°F with 1 oven rack in top third of oven and 1 oven rack in lower third of oven. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, 1 tsp cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, combine brown sugar and butter. Beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until well blended, about 2 minutes. Add ginger, vanilla, and egg and beat until well combined. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until just combined.
- Scoop dough with a 2-tsp scoop, arranging 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Flatten dough to a ½-inch thickness with bottom of a glass. Bake at 350°F until set and just beginning to brown on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Combine remaining ½ tsp cinnamon and icing sugar; sprinkle evenly over cookies.
- Serving size: 1 cookie