Mother’s Day is a time to celebrate moms everywhere and let them how important they are in our lives. Unfortunately that 'celebration' often winds up featuring a well-intentioned card, a box of chocolates or maybe an impromptu meal served on a pillow. While these gestures are sweet, they don't always feel special because let's face it, breakfast in bed is overrated – not to mention overdone.
So whether you’re looking to treat the special woman in your life – or maybe treat yourself – here are some unique ideas to help celebrate all the different, wonderful moms out there.
For the sporty mom
For the mom who likes to keep active, there are a slew of Mother’s Day marathons to participate in across the country.
Residents in Calgary and Edmonton can join the Sport Chek Mother’s Day Run, Walk and Ride. Both runs feature a 5 km and a 10 km route, as well as a Little Legs race for mom and tots. The bonus? All proceeds go to children’s charity.
Active moms in Ottawa can join the Run for Women either as an individual or as a member of a five-person team (Mom should obviously be team captain). Choose from either the 5 K or 10 K race. Kids under 12 can participate in a 1K race. Proceeds go towards Women’s Mental Health programs across the country, and everyone goes home with swag, including some jewelry
- The Fairmont Mother's Day Run & Walk is a 3k, 5k, and 10k run through Stanley Park in Vancouver and ends at the Olympic flame at Jack Poole Plaza. Participants receive a commemorative scarf once they reach the finish line, in addition to Mother’s Day-themed gifts and prizes. Proceeds go to the Make-a-Wish Foundation.
For the mom who loves to garden
Flowers are de rigeur for Mother’s Day, but instead of bringing the flowers to Mom, consider bringing Mom to the flowers. There is a host of beautiful gardens across our country that offers everything from fluffy pink cherry blossoms to yellow tulips.
In Toronto, check out the blooms at the Botanical Gardens or the Allan Gardens Conservatory.
If you’re in Edmonton, be sure to visit the Devonian Botanic Garden, the northernmost botanical garden in Canada.
Haligonians can spend the afternoon at the scenic Public Gardens, which recently opened for the season.
- Vancouverites can check out the exotic plants and flowers at the VanDusen Botanical Garden, while those in Victoria should visit the historical Butchart Gardens where you’ll see 200,000 tulips in bloom.
For the artistic mother
Indulge your mom with some of the very best in arts and culture from musicals to museums.
- Treat your shoe-loving mom to a visit at the city’s Bata Shoe Museum.
- If you're in Vancouver, you can treat Mom to a visit to the Vancouver Art Gallery where kids 12 and under are admitted for free each Sunday (yes, including Mother’s Day).
- Artsy moms in Halifax will want to visit the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, which holds the largest art collection in North America. Latest exhibitions feature the works of Cecil Day and Mitch Mitchell.
For the mom who just wants to relax
What’s Mother’s Day without some much needed R&R? Most salons and spas offer Mother’s Day packages and specials. Here are some of the best.
- In Calgary, the Riverside Spa is offering Mother’s Day gift certificates special on its Mother and Daughter Retreat, which include facials and pedicures for two, as well as its Essential Escape and Serenity treatments.
- Ottawa's Holtz Spa is offering a Mother and Daughter’s Retreat package, including facials, mani and pedis, and a wash and blow out.