How to cook rice
3 different ways to cook rice
Note: A ½ cup rice per person is the general guide. You can use any type of rice for these methods, including basmati, jasmine and brown rice.
1. Place 1 cup (200g) short-grain rice, 1¼ cups (310ml) of water and a pinch of salt in a medium heavy-based saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
2. Reduce heat to low. Cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer for 10 minutes. Rice is cooked when all the water has been absorbed, holes have formed on the surface and the rice tastes tender. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
1. Place 1 cup (200g) of short-grain rice, 1¼ cups (310ml) water and a pinch of salt in a large glass dish or microwave-safe bowl.
2. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, uncovered, then stir (check manufacturer’s instructions and settings, as every microwave is different). Microwave for a further 10 minutes on medium or until water is absorbed.
1. Rinse 1 cup (200g) of short-grain rice under cold running water until the water runs clear. Place the rice in a rice cooker.
2. Add 1½ cups (375ml) of water and a pinch of salt. Cover. Turn the rice cooker on and set to cook. The rice cooker will turn itself off automatically, keeping the rice warm. Refer to individual models for cooking times. As a general rule, it should take 15-20 minutes. Remember to turn the rice cooker off when you no longer need it to keep the rice warm.