Prep Time: 15 min | Cook Time: -- | Serves: 4 | Difficulty: Easy | SmartPoints: 3
A refreshing change from lettuce and tomato. Consider using scallions or a red onion instead of a sweet Vidalia.
- 140 gm arugula, about 2 L (8 cups) loosely packed
- 2 medium grapefruit(s), pink, segmented, 30 ml (2 Tbsp) of juice reserved*
- 1⁄2 small uncooked vidalia onion(s), thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 oz parmesan cheese, thinly shaved (high-quality parmesan recommended)
- Place arugula in a large salad bowl; top with grapefruit and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, honey, salt, pepper and reserved grapefruit juice.
- When ready to serve, gently toss salad with dressing; sprinkle with cheese. Yields about 2 cups per serving.
*To segment grapefruits, peel each grapefruit, making sure to remove white pith. Slice into each grapefruit section with a v-shape cut to remove the citrus from the centre membranes, making sure you’re working over the bowl to catch the juice. When you finish removing the sections from each piece of citrus, squeeze the centre membranes over the bowl to release the rest of the juices.