Vegan big brekky
400 g, button variety, halved
Fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tsp, chopped
4 large, halved
4 slice(s), (4 x 35g slices), toasted, to serve
2 x 3 second spray(s)
1 tbs, vegan variety
4 medium, peeled into thin strips
1 small, finely chopped
2 clove(s), finely chopped
Canned diced tomatoes
2 can(s), (2 x 400g cans), cherry tomato variety
Canned cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
1 can(s), (1 x 400g can)
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Toss oil, Worcestershire, maple syrup, soy sauce, paprika and carrot together in a large bowl. Arrange carrot strips in a single layer on prepared trays, reserving marinade. Bake for 1 hour, basting with reserved marinade halfway through cooking time, or until carrots are crisp. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, make the beans. Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 6-8 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and spices and cook stirring for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add beans and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Stir through parsley, then push mushrooms to one side of pan. Add fresh tomatoes, cut side-down, and cook for 2 minutes, then turn over and cook for another minute.
- Top toast with beans and serve with mushrooms, tomatoes and ‘bacon’.