Toasted coconut marshmallows
SmartPoints® value per serving
4 hr 15 min
Home-made marshmallows are worth the work, with a tantalising fluffy cloud texture and scrumptious toasted coconut topping.
2½ cup(s), (550g)
½ tsp, coconut essence
40 g, flaked and toasted
⅓ cup(s), (50g)
Shredded or desiccated coconut
¼ cup(s), (20g)
- Lightly spray a 20cm x 30cm baking tin with oil. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing it hang over the 2 long sides.
- Combine sugar and 2/3 cup (1600ml) water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
- Meanwhile, using a fork, combine gelatine and 2/3 cup (160ml) cold water in a medium jug. Set aside for 5 minutes. Stir gelatine mixture into hot syrup. Cook, stirring, over medium heat for 3 minutes or until gelatine has dissolved. Transfer to a large heatproof bowl. Set aside to cool to room temperature (about 45 minutes).
- Using electric beaters, beat gelatine mixture until white and very thick. Beat in essence. Spread mixture into prepared tin and smooth the surface. Set aside at room temperature for 2 hours or until set.
- Place a piece of baking paper the size of the tin on a flat surface. Sprinkle paper with coconut flakes. Turn marshmallow onto coconut. Using a knife lightly sprayed with oil, trim edges and cut marshmallow into 80 squares.
- Place cornflour and desiccated coconut in a large snap-lock bag. Place marshmallows, 3 at a time, into bag and toss gently to coat. Place coated marshmallows onto a wire rack. Set aside for 1 hour before serving.
TIP: Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week. To toast coconut, place it in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until light golden.