Smoky bean bunless burgers
½ cup(s), (100g), rinsed, drained
Fresh green chilli
1 whole, finely chopped
1 medium, finely chopped
Frozen corn kernels
1 cup(s), (160g), thawed
2 clove(s), crushed
Canned red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
1 400g can, (1 x 400g can)
⅓ cup(s), chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
1 medium, lightly beaten
Grated parmesan cheese
1 head(s), medium, halved, cut into 6 wedges
99% fat-free plain yoghurt
¼ cup(s), (60g)
2 tbs, green variety
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Cook barley in a large saucepan of boiling water for 35 minutes or until tender. Drain. Spread on a large plate to cool.
- Meanwhile, lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Cook chilli, onion and corn, stirring, for 8-10 minutes or until starting to brown. Add garlic, paprika and chilli powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Transfer to a bowl.
- Process beans in a food processor to coarsely chop. Transfer to a large bowl. Add barley, onion mixture, coriander, egg and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer 1½ cups of mixture to food processor. Process until finely chopped, keeping some texture. Return mixture to bowl and stir until well combined.
- Using damp hands, shape mixture into six 2cm-thick patties.
- Wipe pan clean, add oil and heat over medium heat. Cook burgers for 5 minutes each side or until golden. Serve burgers on lettuce leaves, topped with a dollop of yoghurt, relish and extra coriander leaves.