Smokey pork ribs with stout
1 cup(s), (250ml)
Whole grain mustard
Dried chilli flakes
Pork spare ribs, untrimmed
500 g, (buy 1kg)
2 clove(s), thinly sliced
1 large, sliced
1 medium, cut into wedges
- Combine stout, tomato paste, mustard, sugar, paprika, chilli and garlic in a jug. Mix well.
- Place ribs in a large flameproof baking dish. Brush marinade over ribs. Pour over remaining marinade. Cover and place in fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 160°C or 140°C fan-forced. Add capsicum and onion to baking dish with ribs and spoon some marinade over vegetables. Cover with foil and bake, turning halfway through cooking, for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Increase oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced. Place a wire rack over a baking tray. Transfer ribs to rack. Combine ¼ cup (60ml) cooking liquid in a small bowl with barbecue sauce. Brush mixture over ribs and bake for 20 minutes or until ribs have browned.
- Meanwhile, place baking dish with remaining cooking liquid and vegetables over medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8–10 minutes or until sauce slightly thickens. Serve ribs topped with vegetables and drizzled with sauce.