Root veg chips with hummus
Orange sweet potato (kumara)
1 medium, (180g)
Canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 400g can, reserving liquid
Roasted capsicum, not in oil
150 g, drained
Fresh red chilli
1 whole, deseeded, finely chopped
Ground cayenne pepper
1 clove(s), bruised (see tips)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Using a vegetable peeler or mandoline slicer, thinly slice carrot and parsnip lengthways into long, thin strips, then cut sweet potato and beetroot into thin slices. Pat dry with paper towel. Transfer all vegetable slices to a large bowl. Add oil and paprika and toss to coat evenly.
- Spread vegetable slices in single layers over prepared trays (you will need to cook them in batches). Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 18–20 minutes, turning halfway through, until crisp and golden (see tips). Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make hummus, process chickpeas, roasted capsicum, chilli, cayenne pepper, tahini, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add a little of the reserved chickpea liquid.
- Transfer hummus to a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Serve with vegetable chips.