Roast chicken with lemon and tarragon stuffing and white wine gravy
3 slice(s), (3x35g slices)
1 medium, chopped
50 g, fat trimmed, finely chopped
1 tbs, chopped
Fresh lemon rind
2 tsp, finely grated
900 g, (Buy 1.8kg)
Salt reduced chicken stock
1 cup(s), (250ml)
Reduced-alcohol white wine
- Process bread in a food processor until breadcrumbs form. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion and bacon, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until light golden.
- Place onion mixture in a large bowl with breadcrumbs, tarragon and rind. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Preheat oven to 200˚C. Rinse chicken cavity under cold water. Pat chicken dry inside and out with paper towel. Fill cavity with breadcrumb mixture.
- Tie chicken legs together with unwaxed string. Place on an oven rack in a large flameproof roasting pan. Tuck wings under. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 1½ hours or until juices run clear when chicken thigh is pierced with a skewer. Transfer chicken to a chopping board. Set aside for 10 minutes to rest before carving.
- While chicken is resting, pour pan juices into a jug. Pour off excess fat. Return 2 tablespoons of juices to roasting pan. Place over medium-high heat. Add flour. Cook, stirring constantly with a straight-edged wooden spoon, for 1 minute. Add stock and wine. Cook, stirring to dislodge any brown bits from base of pan, for 5 minutes or until gravy thickens. Strain into a jug to remove any lumps. Season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm.
- To carve, use poultry shears or a large sharp knife to cut along edge of thigh and body to remove legs. Cut through joint to separate thigh from drumstick. Cut along either side of breastbone to remove breasts. Separate wing from breast by cutting through joint to make a total of 6 pieces, excluding breast. Thinly slice breasts. Divide chicken pieces and breast among serving plates. Serve with stuffing and gravy.