Fresh lemon rind
2 tsp, finely grated
White self-raising flour
½ cup(s), (75g)
40 g, 30g for recipe plus 10g extra to serve
Reduced fat oil spread
80 g, melted
2 medium, lightly beaten
99% fat-free plain yoghurt
- Lightly spray a 1 litre (4-cup) capacity pudding basin with oil. Line base with baking paper. Combine lemon curd and 1 teaspoon rind in a small bowl. Spoon curd mixture into base of prepared basin.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Combine melted spread, eggs, and yoghurt in a jug. Gently stir spread mixture into flour mixture until just combined. Spoon flour mixture into basin. Cover pudding with a round of baking paper and tightly secure lid (see tip).
- Half fill a large saucepan with water and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat, place basin in saucepan (water should come halfway up sides of basin) and simmer, adding more boiling water when necessary, for 11/2 hours or until a skewer inserted into pudding comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make custard, place milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Meanwhile, place egg yolk, 10g extra sugar and custard powder in a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Pour over hot milk and whisk to combine. Strain milk mixture into a small clean saucepan. Cook, stirring, over low heat for 15 minutes or until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove basin from saucepan and set aside for 5 minutes before turning out. Spoon any remaining lemon curd on top. Serve with custard and remaining rind.