Lemon meringue pie
90 g, (110g, with 18% discarded)
reduced fat oil spread
50 g, (80g with 18% discarded)
8 g, (10g, with 18% discarded)
⅔ cup(s), extra (150g)
⅓ cup(s), (80ml)
2 medium, separated
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly spray a 20cm round, loose-based fluted flan tin with oil.
- Place flour, spread and sugar in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add 1-1½ tablespoons of water and pulse until mixture is just combined. Transfer to a clean, lightly floured surface and flatten into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 10 minutes to chill.
- Roll pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper until large enough to line prepared tin. Line tin with pastry and trim excess. Place on a baking tray in fridge for 10 minutes to chill. Line pastry case with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for a further 7 minutes or until pastry is golden. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine cornflour, custard powder, ¼ cup (55g) of the extra sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a small non-stick saucepan. Stir in lemon juice and ¾ cup (180ml) water. Cook, stirring constantly, over high heat for 2-3 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Stir in egg yolks until combined. Cover and place in fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Using electric beaters, beat egg whites in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining extra sugar until mixture is smooth and glossy. Spread lemon mixture into cooled pastry case. Top with meringue mixture and spread to edge of pastry. Increase oven to 220°C. Bake for 3-5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned and set.