Lemon jelly meringue pies
reduced-fat shortcrust pastry
1½ individual, just thawed
⅓ cup(s), (80ml)
¼ cup(s), (60ml)
granulated stevia sweetener
¾ cup(s), (165g)
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place six 2cm-deep, 8cm-round, fluted tart tins on a baking tray. Cut 1 pastry sheet into quarters and cut the half pastry sheet in two so you have six pastry pieces. Line tins with pastry, trimming excess.
- Line tins with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or dried rice or beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for a further 10 minutes or until pastry is light golden (cover edges with foil if overbrowning). Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place the lemon juice, orange juice, 2/3 cup (160ml) water and 1½ tbs sweetener in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring, or until sweetener dissolves. Remove from heat. Sprinkle gelatine over juice mixture. Stir until gelatine dissolves. Set aside to cool. Pour jelly mixture among tart shells. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or until set.
- Using electric beaters, beat egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sweetener, beating until sweetener dissolves.
- Spoon egg white mixture into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm-round nozzle. Pipe evenly in a circular motion onto each tart. Using a kitchen blowtorch, lightly brown meringue. Serve immediately.