Hasselback zucchini bake
1000 g, (6 small zucchinis)
125 g, fat trimmed, cut into 2cm pieces
2 cup(s), (500ml)
2 clove(s), crushed
High fibre wholemeal bread
70 g, (2x35g slices), day-old, crusts removed
Grated parmesan cheese
½ cup(s), (40g)
Reduced-fat ricotta cheese
250 g, crumbled
2 tbs, coarsely shredded
2 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan-forced. Place 2 chopsticks on either side of 1 zucchini. Cut thin slices in top of zucchini (the chopsticks will prevent cutting all the way through). Repeat with remaining zucchini.
- Push bacon, randomly, into zucchini cuts. Place zucchini in a large (40cm x 22cm top measurement) baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Lightly spray zucchini with oil. Bake for 30 minutes, turning zucchini halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, place passata, garlic and thyme in a small saucepan. Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Tear bread into pieces. Process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Stir in parmesan.
- Sprinkle ricotta and shredded basil over zucchini. Carefully pour over passata mixture, then sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture. Bake for 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and topping is golden. Serve sprinkled with extra basil.