Flourless chocolate-almond cake
90 g, 70% cocoa, coarsely chopped
Light sour cream
½ cup(s), (125ml)
⅓ cup(s), (70g)
½ cup(s), (110g)
Vanilla bean extract, alcohol free
⅔ cup(s), (80g)
375 g, (3 x 125g punnets)
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly spray a 23cm springform tin with oil. Sift 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder into pan. Tilt pan to coat base and side with cocoa, shaking out any excess.
- Combine chocolate and butter in a medium microwave-proof bowl. Microwave, covered on High for 1 minute or until chocolate is softened and butter begins to melt. Stir until smooth.
- Sift remaining cocoa into a small bowl. Add sour cream, stirring until smooth. Set aside. Using electric beaters, beat 3 egg yolks and white sugar in a large bowl at medium-high speed until thick and pale yellow in colour. Reduce speed to low. Beat in chocolate mixture and vanilla. Fold in sour cream mixture until just combined. Fold in almond meal until just combined.
- Wash beaters. Using clean electric beaters, beat 5 egg whites with a ¼ teaspoon of salt in another large clean dry bowl at medium speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. With mixer on medium-high speed, add extra white sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until firm, glossy peaks form.
- Spoon one third of beaten egg whites over chocolate mixture, gently folding in until whites are just incorporated. Repeat with remaining egg whites until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and gently smooth top. Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan on a wire rack. Run a thin knife around edge of pan to loosen cake from side. Release and remove pan side. Dust cake with icing sugar. Use a knife dipped in hot water and dried to cut into 12 slices. Serve with raspberries.