Cajun chicken with orange, fennel and lentil salad
- 2 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning, (spice mix)
- 500 g Chicken tenderloin
- 3 large unpeeled navel orange
- 1 can(s) lentils, canned, rinsed, drained, (1 x 400g can) brown variety
- 1 medium fennel bulb(s), thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh mint, chopped leaves
- 100 g rocket, wild variety
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar, white variety
- 1 x 3 second spray(s) oil spray
Reserve ½ teaspoon of the spice mix. Sprinkle the remaining spice mix over both sides of the chicken tenderloins. Lightly spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Add the chicken. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through.
Meanwhile, peel and segment the oranges over a bowl to catch any juice. Combine the orange segments, lentils, fennel, mint, rocket, 1 tablespoon of the reserved orange juice, the reserved spice mix and vinegar in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
Divide the lentil salad among serving plates and top with the chicken.
- TIPS: You can make your own Cajun spice mix by blending paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic, salt and pepper. Or swap Cajun spice mix for Moroccan spice mix. Keep leftover juice from the segmented oranges to use in another salad dressing. You can add 200g red grape tomatoes with fennel in step 2.