Lean beef round steak
800 g, fat trimmed, cut into 3cm chunks (buy 1kg)
125 g, chopped
1 medium, chopped
4 clove(s), chopped
1 cup(s), (250ml)
Beef stock cube
2 individual, to make 4 cups (1L) of gluten free stock
1 tsp, (2 sprigs)
Fresh bay leaf
Pickled onion, drained
9 medium, peeled, cut into thick slices
600 g, button variety
Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 180°C.Season meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large heavy flameproof casserole dish over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and half the meat (or less if it’s too crowded). Cook on all sides, turning for, 8-12 minutes. Transfer beef to a plate and set aside. Repeat with remaining meat and transfer to plate. (During this process, there will be a lot of brown residue building up on the dishes surface. This is where the flavour from the stew comes from, so encourage it to happen, but if it starts to burn, turn down the heat).
- Reduce heat to medium, add remaining oil, chopped onion, and garlic to dish. Cook, stirring for 6 minutes or until softened. Add flour and tomato paste and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add wine and bring to the boil and use a wooden spoon to scrape up all the brown bits on base of dish. Return meat to dish. Add stock, thyme sprigs, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Bring back to the boil over high heat. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add onions and boil for 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water. Peel and trim onions, leaving root end intact so onions stay whole.
- When stew has cooked for 1 hour, remove from oven. Stir in onions, carrots, and mushrooms. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Cook a further 30 minutes partially covered. Adjust lid of casserole to partially cover. Remove from oven and stir mixture. Cook, uncovered, a further 30 minutes. (The meat and vegetables should all be tender, and the sauce should have thickened.)
- Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf, adjust seasonings to taste if necessary and sprinkle with parsley just before serving.