Beef and mixed mushroom barley risotto
fresh bay leaf
3 tsp, sprigs, plus 1 tsp leaves
beef stock cube
trimmed beef chuck steak
400 g, (Buy 500g)
1 clove(s), crushed
1 cup(s), (200g)
60 ml, (1/4 cup)
400 g, mixed, chopped (see note)
baby spinach leaves
shaved parmesan cheese
¼ cup(s), (20g)
- Coarsely chop 1 onion. Place chopped onion, bay leaf, thyme sprigs, stock cube and 1.5 litres (6 cups) water in a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add beef. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until beef is tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove beef from cooking liquid. Using 2 forks, coarsely shred beef. Strain cooking liquid through a muslin-lined sieve or colander into a medium heatproof bowl. Discard solids. Cover stock mixture to keep warm.
- Finely chop remaining onion. Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add barley and thyme leaves and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add wine and cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until wine has absorbed. Add stock mixture, a ladle (½ cup/125ml) at a time, stirring constantly, for 40–45 minutes or until barley is tender. (Add hot water if liquid is absorbed before barley is tender).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms, spinach and shredded beef to risotto. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until spinach has wilted. Serve topped with parmesan.