Beef and eggplant rotolo
1 medium, finely chopped
1 medium, coarsely grated
2 clove(s), crushed
Extra lean beef mince, raw
½ cup(s), (125ml)
2 cup(s), (500ml)
Light mozzarella cheese
50 g, (½ cup)
1 x 3 second spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 190°C or 170°C fan-forced. Cut a 5mm-thick slice off 2 sides of each eggplant. Cut eggplant lengthways into 5mm-thick slices. Finely chop trimmed sides and set aside.
- Preheat a chargrill or barbecue over medium-high heat. Lightly spray eggplant with oil. Cook eggplant, in batches, for 1–2 minutes each side or until just soft. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion, carrot and chopped eggplant, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add mince and cook, stirring to break up lumps, for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add oregano, stock and 1½ cups (375ml) passata and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Cool.
- Spread remaining passata over base of a 1.5 litre (6-cup) capacity ovenproof dish. Top widest end of an eggplant slice with 2 tablespoons mince mixture. Roll to enclose filling. Place, standing up, in prepared dish. Repeat with remaining eggplant and mince mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 15–20 minutes or until golden. Serve.