Wholemeal buttermilk scones
SmartPoints® value per serving
Wholemeal self-raising flour
1 cup(s), (160g)
White self-raising flour
1 cup(s), (150g)
Reduced fat oil spread
1 cup(s), (250ml)
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Lightly dust a baking tray with a little flour. Sift the flours into a large bowl. Return the husks to the bowl.
- Stir in the sugar. Using your fingertips, rub in spread until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Using a non-serrated table knife, gently mix in buttermilk into the dry ingredients until just combined and the dough is soft and sticky.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for 30 seconds or until just smooth.
- Press out dough to 2cm thickness. Using a 5.5cm round cutter, cut out 15 scones. Dip the scone cutter into the flour before cutting each scone to prevent the dough sticking to the cutter.
- Arrange scones on tray so that they are just touching. Brush scones lightly with skim milk. Bake for 15 minutes or until browned and sound hollow when tapped.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Honeyed ricotta- makes ½ cup (for 15 scones). Combine ½ cup (125g) light smooth ricotta with 1 tbs honey. Maple & walnut whip- makes ½ cup (for 15 scones). Whisk 80g reduced fat oil spread and 1 tbs maple syrup in a bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in 2 tbs finely chopped toasted walnuts. Chocolate hazelnut spread- makes ½ cup (for 15 scones). Process ½ cup (70g) roasted hazelnuts in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Add 75g melted dark chocolate and process until mixture is combined. TIPS: Ensure the spread is cold and finely chopped so it is easier to rub into the flour mixture. Using a non-serrated table knife to stir in the milk prevents over mixing, which can result in tough scones.